Melford Hall, Long Melford

Melford Hall, Long Melford

The handsome red-brick Melford Hall dominates the north side of Long Melford's village green. Badmin had already included it in a view of the green, but here he focuses on the house itself. His typically tight and meticulous handling of watercolour suggests the bright sunlight and strong shadows falling on the house facade in the afternoon. Melford Hall was originally built around 1560 and after the war became the property of the National Trust.