View of the Ruins of the Cloister, the Belfry of St. Mary's Church, and the Vicarage, Tilty

View of the Ruins of the Cloister, the Belfry of St. Mary's Church, and the Vicarage, Tilty

These ruins could almost be mistaken for part of the landscape if not for the rusting fence surrounding them. They are the sole remnants of Tilty Abbey, a Cistercian monastery founded in 1153. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries following his break with Rome, the abbey was demolished. Only the ruins of the cloister, shown here, and the chapel, which was converted into Tilty's parish church and whose belfry is visible in the background, survive.