St. Mary's Church, Tilty

St. Mary's Church, Tilty

This view of St. Mary's Church, Tilty, is one of three painted by Kenneth Rowntree for the Recording Britain scheme. The church's unusual shape and the sophisticated tracery on the east window hint at an illustrious history. Indeed, the church is the original chapel, and only surviving part, of Tilty Abbey, a Cistercian monastery founded in 1153. When the monastery was demolished following the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII, the chapel was preserved and given to the local peasantry as a parish church