Seckford Hall, Bealings Magna (The Front)

Seckford Hall, Bealings Magna (The Front)

Built of bricks made from local river mud, the Tudor Seckford Hall rises out of the landscape like a natural extension of the land. When Russell Reeve painted the rambling facade in 1941, the house's fate hung in the balance: saved from demolition by Sir Ralph Harwood in May 1940, it had been commandeered by the army to billet troops the following month. After the war ended, Sir Ralph carried out a thorough, if not entirely historically accurate, renovation. Seckford Hall was converted into a hotel in the 1950s and remains so today.