Bharatpur, Rajasthan, India
Museum no. 05567(IS)
This man's robe is of the type called a jama, which crosses over the chest and fastens at the left side, which traditionally denotes a Hindu wearer. This example is exceptional in the amount of cloth used for its gathered skirt: it has a circumference at the hem of 65 metres of cloth, and the skirt is made up of 277 triangular panels. It was given to the India Museum (which was amalgamated into the South Kensington Museum, later the V&A) by the Maharaja of Bharatpur in Rajasthan in 1855.