Model of a pavilion in the Court of Lions, Alhambra
Plaster and alabaster
Height 86 cm x width 48 cm x depth 42 cm
Museum no. 927-1900
The Alhambra Palace complex was erected between 1325-1333. Various models of the palace were made in the second half of the nineteenth century, many by Don Rafael Contreras, the official Palace restorer. Interest in Moorish architecture and decorative style was stimulated by publications such as Owen Jones' Grammar of Ornament. Here a pavilion has been isolated from the palace courtyard and given a fictitious decorative back wall.