Model of a Chinese garden with pavilions
Wood, metal, kingfisher feathers, pearls and ivory
Height 59 cm x width 62 cm x depth 46 cm
Museum no. 9348 (IS)
Acquired by the V&A in 1880 from the India Museum, part of the East India Company which disbanded in 1858, this model shows imaginary building structures. These large rocky landscape scenes dotted with pavilions were often produced for Chinese export to the west. Unusually, this example is almost entirely inlaid with kingfisher feathers rather than the customary carved ivory.