Walnut and oak, lined with painted and gilded leather and silk velvet; later shagreen (possibly sharkskin) outer covering
Museum no. W.29:1 to 9-1932
This box was almost certainly made in the court workshops of Henry VIII, who reigned from 1509 to 1547. It is lined with leather, which is painted with the heraldic badges of Henry and his first queen, Katherine of Aragon (1485-1536), and the royal coat of arms.