Museum no. 846-1890
This façade was once part of a large and impressive mansion built on the edge of the city of London, in Bishopsgate Without. This location meant that the house survived the Great Fire of London in 1666. The house was built for Sir Paul Pindar, a wealthy merchant who spent time in Italy and made his fortune there. He also spent nine years as ambassador to the Sultan of Turkey. In 1890 the little that remained of the house and its former magnificence was demolished to make way for an extension to Liverpool Street Railway Station and Museum acquired the façade.