Lead-glazed earthenware, with incised slip decoration
Museum no. C.184-1926
Mill Green, where this jug was made, supplied London and other areas with pottery from 1270 to 1350. The jug was made for use at table. It was thinly potted and has a speckled green glaze over a white slip. The base, made separately, was pinched into place. The pinch-marks are both decorative and functional: they reduced surface contact between pots during firing.