Glass and gold mosaic set in plaster
Width 38 cm x height 53.5 cm
Museum no. 4312-1856
This mosaic panel depicts the head of Jesus Christ, showing him as a beardless young man. The face has been heavily restored, mostly in the 19th century. It is a fragment removed from a larger decorative scheme of early Byzantine mosaic from the eastern end (or apse) of the church of San Michele in Africisco, in Ravenna, Italy. The Byzantine empire was centred around the city of Constantinople (now Istanbul, Turkey) which was established as the capital of the Roman Empire in 330AD by the Emperor Constantine.