Benjamin Brecknell Turner
Albumen Print from paper negative
Museum no. PH.22-1982
Turner used this image as his contribution to The Photographic Album for the Year 1855. In the accompanying text he noted 'taken by Fox Talbot's process in April, 10 am, in clear sunshine. Exposure 30 minutes'. The main structure of Bredicot Court is an early 17th century half-timbered brick house of two storeys and an attic with a tiled roof added in the 18th century. The lower building to the right is a piggery. Piggeries were traditionally located close to farmhouses so that the pigs could be conveniently fed on household waste.
The Court remains the farmhouse, and although modernised has been little changed externally. Much of the foreground area is now taken up with 20th century farm buildings.