Benjamin Brecknell Turner
'Old Doorway, Pershore Abbey'
Albumen print from calotype negative
Museum no. PH.9-1982
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Both Turner's views of Pershore Abbey are taken from the park of Abbey House, and the site of the medieval monastic buildings. Abbey House was demolished in the 1930s, after which the park was united with the churchyard to form Abbey Park and the castellated boundary wall seen in Turner's photographs was removed. Here, Turner concentrates on a closer look at the rich textures of stone, ivy and brick.
The 14th century Decorated style ruined doorway gave access from the nave of the abbey church to the monastic cloisters. It is one of the few surviving reminders of the living quarters of the monks who occupied this great Benedictine monastery from its foundation in the 8th century until 1539.