Benjamin Brecknell Turner
'Worcester Cathedral, from across the Severn'
Albumen print from calotype negative
Museum no. PH.6-1982
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Taken from across the River Severn, where the county cricket ground and Kings School playing field are now located, this photograph captures the west end of the Cathedral. Predating its 1860s renovation, this image shows the transept of the cathedral missing a turret. The building at the bottom left has also been subsequently demolished leaving just the medieval masonry of the former monastic reredorter (lavatories) and undercroft to the infirmary. Other buildings can still be seen today, particularly the medieval Watergate to the right. In medieval times the river was tidal and the gateway would flood twice a day, creating a small dock where boats could unload. The river bank was changed when the promenade was created in 1844.