Benjamin Brecknell Turner
'The Edgar Tower, Worcester'
Albumen print from calotype negative
Museum no. PH.7-1982
Turner often used gateways as a device to introduce a theme or geographical location. This fortified gateway to the southern part of the monastic precinct of the Cathedral was built in the 14th century. It was formerly known as St Mary's Gate. By the 18th century it was believed to have been built during the reign of King Edgar in the 10th century and so it became known as Edgar Tower.
This view from College Green remains remarkably unchanged today, though the stonework of Edgar Tower was restored in 1912. Note the bay window which has been added later to the house in the background along Edgar Street, visible through the arch.