Church of St Magnus-the-Martyr, City of London: sketched perspective of the entrance facade and the bell tower
Charles Robert Cockerell
RIBA no. SD/127/28
RIBA Library Drawings Collection
This drawing was formerly part of an album entitled 'Ichnographia Publica', compiled by Charles Cockerell (1788 - 1863) from 1825 as a private 'scrapbook' containing measured drawings, notes and studies relating to the architecture of public buildings. Amongst the album's contents were a group of studies of churches, palaces, public and domestic buildings by (or which were then believed to be by) Wren that he used to develop, 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren'. This church was rebuilt by Wren in 1676 following the Great Fire of London in 1666. The steeple, copied from the church of St Charles Borromee, in Antwerp, was added thirty years later.
This drawing can be found in RIBA Print Room Box 'Exploring Skylines'.