Punchbowl with ship
Possibly painted by William Jackson
Tin-glazed earthenware, with decoration painted into the glaze and enamelled details
Museum no. 3615-1901
Punchbowls painted with ships were a speciality of the Liverpool potteries. Punch had been introduced to Europe from south-east Asia.
English potters had produced tin-glazed earthenware since the 16th century. It was later painted in the style of Delft pottery, as here, and so became known as 'delftware.'