Designed by A.W.N. Pugin (1812-52); made by Minton & Co.
Bone china, transfer-printed in enamels
Museum no. 460-1851
The pioneering Gothic revival architect, A.W.N. Pugin, designed this plate for the British ceramic firm, Minton & Co.
Their collaboration led to several innovations in ceramic manufacture and design. Here the plate is printed in solid areas of coloured enamels without lines. This printing process was developed by Mintons and was particularly suited to the flat patterns of Pugin's style.
Shown at the Great Exhibition, London, 1851