Made by Minton & Co.; designed by Pierre-Emile Jeannest (1813-57); painted by Thomas Allen (1831-1915)
Earthenware, painted before glazing and with majolica glazes
Museum no. 8107&A-1863
Minton & Co. exhibited this Renaissance revival ewer and stand in 1862. Mintons pioneered the use of majolica glazes inspired by the Renaissance pottery of Bernard Palissy. The glazes are translucent and brightly coloured, and usually flow in broad areas of colour over moulded forms. Here, however, they are used alongside fine underglaze painting copying 16th- and 17th-century prints.