Philip Henry Delamotte (1821-1889)
Photograph of the Interior of Crystal Palace at Sydenham
Museum no. 39:289
The Great Exhibition closed on 11 October 1851. The Crystal Palace was rebuilt in Sydenham, on the outskirts of London, in 1854, and housed events such as the Colonial and Indian Exhibition of 1905, music festivals and moving pictures demonstrations. A fire dramatically destroyed the building and its contents in 1936, twisting the iron frames and melting the glass; the loss of Crystal Palace was seen, on the eve of the Second World War, as the end of an era.
The efforts of the Royal Commission and Prince Albert meant that South Kensington became the centre for science and art, with the South Kensington Museum (now the Victoria and Albert Museum), the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Imperial College of Science and Technology and the Royal Albert Hall all located there.
This print can be found in Print Room Box 4a.