Made by François-Désiré Froment-Meurice
Height 3.1 cm
Silver with parcel-gilt, and enamel decoration panels of foliage
Museum no. 167-1854
© Victoria & Albert Museum, London
By the middle of the 19th century the revival of interest in medieval and Renaissance art and architecture was having a profound influence on jewellery design. At the forefront of this historicist movement was the Parisian goldsmith Francois-Désiré Froment-Meurice. This piece, in the form of cast figures of cherubs alternating with openwork, was purchased by the Museum directly from Froment-Meurice at the Great Exhibition of 1851 for £18.