Henry Clarke Pidgeon (1807-80)
View in the West Nave
Watercolour and gouache over pencil on paper
Museum no. E.6-2007
Purchased with the assistance of the Contributing Members of the Friends of the V&A
The large cross was designed and sculpted by the Hon. Harriet M. Ross of Rosstrevor, Ireland. It depicts scenes from the New Testament, including the Crucifixion in the centre and the Resurrection at the top. The polygonal glazed display case to the right belonged to Spiers & Son of Oxford. It contained objects and furniture made of papier mâché.
'View in the West Nave', after Henry Clarke Pidgeon, lithograph, 1851. From book in NAL, pressmark 110.F.16, p.13
'View in the West Nave', after Henry Clarke Pidgeon, colour lithograph, 1851. Museum no. 19538.6