J. Michael (active 1841-61)
'Part of the Fine Arts Court'
Watercolour and gouache over pencil on paper
Museum no. E.8-2007
Purchased with the assistance of The Art Fund and the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
This display includes examples of both secular and religious virtuoso carving. It is centred around an ornamental neo-Gothic font that was probably made by J. Castle of Oxford. The pair of mounted jug-shaped vases flanking the Crucifixion are by a London manufacturer called Egisippo Norchi.
'Part of the Fine Arts Court', after J. Michael, lithograph, 1851. From book in NAL, pressmark 110.F.16, p.11
'Part of the Fine Arts Court', after J. Michael, colour lithograph, 1851. Museum no. 19538.5