Henry Clarke Pidgeon (1807-80)
'Part of the Russian Court'
Watercolour and gouache over pencil on paper
Museum no. E.15-2007
Purchased with the assistance of The Art Fund and the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
The Russian Court included furniture made of malachite, a bright green mineral, by the St Petersburg firm of Demidoff. The large porcelain vase in the middle of the display is by the Imperial Porcelain Manufactory of St Petersburg. It is decorated with scenes after the 17th-century Dutch artist Nicolaes Berchem.
'Part of the Russian Court', after Henry Clarke Pidgeon, lithograph, 1851. From book in NAL, pressmark 110.F.16, p.39
'Part of the Russian Court', after Henry Clarke Pidgeon, colour lithograph, 1851. Museum no. 19538.19