Walter Goodall (1830-89)
'Part of the French Court, No. 1 (Sèvres)'
Watercolour and gouache over pencil on paper
Museum no. E.16-2007
Purchased with the assistance of the Contributing Members of the Friends of the V&A
The title refers to the display of porcelain by the Sèvres factory visible in the background. The large ebony cabinet in the foreground was probably the combined work of the French foundry Barbedienne & Co. and their British agents, Jackson & Graham. Its bronze decorations are reduced versions by Jean-Baptiste Clesinger of works by Michelangelo and Ghiberti.
'Part of the French Court, No. 1 (Sevres)', after Walter Goodall, lithograph, 1851. From book in NAL, pressmark 110.F.16, p.47
'Part of the French Court, No. 1 (Sevres)', after Walter Goodall, colour lithograph, 1851. Museum no. 19538.23