The Rolls Plaques, Museum nos. M.53

The Rolls Plaques
Gilded copper with champlevé enamel and cloisonné details
Meuse Valley (Belgium, France or Germany)
About 1160
Museum nos. M.53, 53A & 53B-1988
Previously owned by the Harding-Rolls family
Purchased with the assistance of the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund (Eugene Cremetti Fund)

The most skilled enamellers in Europe at this time worked around the valley of the River Meuse. These plaques are outstanding examples of the virtuosity of their craft. They once decorated an altarpiece or shrine. The programme of imagery must have been complex, combining Old and New testament stories with allegorical and classical scenes.