Stoneware, with turquoise glaze
Museum no. C382-1912
This fragment once ornamented a palace in the Yuanming Yuan or 'Garden of Perfect Clarity' in Beijing. It is from the palace building that held the Qianlong Emperor's collection of European tapestries, paintings, clocks and furniture. This treasure store was designed in a mixture of European and Asian styles by Giuseppe Castiglione (1688-1766), an Italian Jesuit missionary at the imperial court.