Liberty & Co. Ltd.
Fine woollen face cloth, lined with satin
Museum no. T.71-1982
Liberty's - a trendsetting fashion store in Regent Street, London - opened their dress department in 1884 under the guidance of the designer and former architect E. W. Godwin (1833-1886), a crusader for dress reform. This coat was especially designed and made for Mrs Hazel Moorcroft. The block-printed design of the lining fabric first appeared in about 1912 and was constantly re-issued - most recently in the 1970s. The cloche hat worn with it here is very typical of the 1920s.