Designed by Wilhelm Kåge (1889-1960); made at the Gustavsberg ceramic factory
Designed about 1930, made 1954
Stoneware, with matt glaze, inlaid with silver
Museum no. C.129-1984
Given by A.B. Gustavsberg
The Argenta range was launched at the 1930 Stockholm exhibition, where Sweden became recognised as a major force in international design.
Combining bold modern shapes with engraved silver inlay, often in Neo-classical style, the Argenta range represented the utmost in luxury. Yet its designer, Wilhelm Kåge, also pioneered low-cost, highly functional modernist kitchen and table wares.