Made at the State Porcelain Factory; designed and possibly decorated by Alexandra Shchekotikhina-Pototskaya (1892-1967) using a blank made in 1911
Porcelain, painted in enamels and gilded
Russia, St Petersburg
Museum no. C.250-1991
After the Russian Revolution, the former Imperial Porcelain Factory made ceramics as propaganda. They were painted with slogans and designs in a variety of styles, and some of Russia's most radical artists were involved in their production. Subjects included scenes from daily life and folklore.
The plate shows a figure ringing bells to celebrate the 8th Congress of Soviets.