Glass micromosaic with gilded wood frame
Decio Podio (born about 1860)
Museum no. Loan:Gilbert.170:1, 2-2008
In 1762 George Spencer, fourth Duke of Marlborough, received a tigress for his menagerie at Blenheim as a gift from Lord Clive, Governor of Bengal. The Duke commissioned the English painter George Stubbs (1724-1806), well known for his paintings of horses, to paint a tigress. This painting was published as an engraving by John Dixon in 1772, which in turn inspired this micromosaic. The micromosaic displays great naturalism, with subtle details such as the small rounded head, short nose and lack of ruff indicating this is a female tiger.