Creamer jug in the form of a cow
Museum no. M.1691-1944
This silver cow is a cream jug. Jugs in the form of standing cows were made in London in some quantity during the mid 18th century. Most bear the mark of John Schuppe, and were made between 1753 and 1773. His name indicates that he probably came from The Netherlands where cow creamers made in ceramic were already fashionable. All these creamers follow the same basic form, with a looped tail and a saddle-shaped lid with a finial in the form of a fly. Both silver and silver-gilt versions are known, and variations occur on the type and amount of hair on the body and head. Taking milk or cream with tea was not an established convention until the 1770s and so cream jugs were designed individually in a variety of shapes. From the 1770s they were designed ensuite with matching teasets.