Boy playing the bagpipes
Tin-glazed earthenware, with decoration painted into the glaze
Museum no. 4677-1858
Given by HRH the Prince Consort
Andrea della Robbia, to whom this statue is attributed, belonged to a famous Florentine family of sculptors. He succeeded his uncle, Luca, who was an early exponent of the Renaissance style in Florence.
Luca was the first to make large-scale architectural sculpture in tin-glazed earthenware. Seated figures like this can be found surmounting altarpieces from the Della Robbia workshop.
Attributed to Andrea della Robbia (1435-1525)