The Oxburgh Hangings, panel
Mary Queen of Scots, assisted by Elizabeth, Countess of Shrewsbury
linen canvas, embroidered with gold, silver and silk in tent stitch
Museum no. T.33II-1955
These panels of silk cross stitch on exposed linen ground, with couched threads in a swirling design, were originally appliqued to a velvet ground. The design of birds, animals and fish is based on the illustrations to Conrad Gesner's Icones Animalium,  published in Zurich in 1560. The panels were embroidered by the imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots, assisted by Elizabeth, Countess of Shrewsbury, and eventually hung in Oxburgh Hall in Norfolk, from where they acquired the name of the Oxburgh Hangings.