Karl Schmidt-Rottluff (1884-1976)
'Head of a Woman'
Museum no. Circ.558-1969
Karl Schmidt-Rottluff was a founding member of the artists’ group Die Brücke (The Bridge), set up in Dresden, Germany, in 1905. Together with the Munich group Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider), Die Brücke were the backbone of the German Expressionist movement. The artists of this group revived the woodcut as a medium for fine art printmaking, exploiting the physical qualities of the wood - such its resistance to the cutting tool and the pattern of the grain - to produce images characterised by energy, immediacy and directness.
This image can be found in Print Room Box 9A.