Made at the 'Metal Pot' factory
Formerly from North Mymms Park, Hertfordshire
Tin-glazed earthenware, with decoration painted into the glaze
Museum no. C.19 to J-1982.
Delft became a major centre of European ceramics after the Ming dynasty collapsed in 1644 and Chinese porcelain could no longer be obtained.
This tiered tulip vase is one of the most ambitious Delftware productions. The short-lived trend for such vases was set by the English court of William and Mary. Queen Mary had developed a passion for Delftware and blue-and-white during her years in the Netherlands.