Silk dupion with embroidery of sequins, pastes and crystal beads; lined with taffeta and faced with net
Museum no. T.214&A-1973
Given by Mrs Roy Hudson
The House of Worth, established in Paris in 1858 by Charles Frederick Worth (1826-95), was the original and founding couture house. Worth London was an offshoot of the original. It created refined, well-mannered garments for a mainly English clientele for the London social season.
Mrs Roy Hudson was a friend of Miss Whistler, Worth's head vendeuse (personal saleswoman). She purchased Worth gowns between 1947 and 1962. This dress dates from about 1955, when Owen Hyde-Clark was the chief designer. Worth was known for delicately embroidered dresses in shades of champagne and rose, and this dress is typical of the house's style.
The skirt is cut as a complete circle. It needed many layers of petticoats to fill the skirt and show the embroidery to its best advantage.
Worth (London) Ltd closed in 1967.