Henry Maxted (active about 1730)
'A Map of a Farm and 12 Pieces of Land thereto Belonging; Lying in the Parish of Reculver in the County of Kent'
Pen and watercolour on vellum
Museum no. E.3495-1931
Given by Lady Capel Cure
Maps such as this were legal documents, recording land ownership and marking boundaries, roads and rights of way. They were also useful in estate management. This map mixes diagrammatic features with fanciful pictorial elements. It is colour-coded to distinguish different types of ground.