Copper gilt and enamel with rock crystals and green pastes (glass), pierced and soldered
Museum no. M.108-1953
Given by Dr W.L. Hildburgh FSA
Once this crown would have adorned a sculpture in a Catholic church. Now it is displayed as a stand-alone example of the Herreran style of design (named after the architect Juan Herrera) particular to Spain in the early 17th century. The pierced bars resembling strips of leather recall the strapwork that features in Spanish architecture.
The Museum received the crown from Walter Leo Hildburgh, an avid collector of metalwork, who gave over 500 objects to the V&A.