Signed by the gunsmith C. Öfner
Museum no. M.540-1924
Given by Mr S.J. Whawell
This is the mechanism that once enabled a gun to fire. Often finely decorated, wheel-locks were collected by aristocrats as both works of art and technical devices that could be taken apart. This example has been delicately chiselled with scenes of hunters in contemporary clothing. The illustration is an adaptation of hunting prints produced over the preceding 150 years.