Copper gilt and champlevé enamel
Museum no. M.392-1956
Bequeathed by Dr W.L. Hildburgh FSA
This plaque was probably one of many originally made to decorate a cross. Separated and without context, it later became a collector's item. It shows a winged ox, the symbol of St Luke. The colouring was produced by champlevé, or 'raised field', enamelling. The sections that were to be coloured were carefully gouged out of the copper plaque, then filled with enamel powder and fired to create the hard, shiny surface.