The National Gallery Competition for the expansion of the Hampton site was held in 1982 and attracted 79 entries by various architects. This drawing was one of the 7 drawings entered by P. Ney & R. Schmidt, in the High- Tech style. The drawing shows an axonometric view and two perspective drawings of their overall design, which accommodated both commercial offices and public gallery space.
The winning design for the National Gallery extension project by Ahrends, Burton & Koralek was eventually abandoned in favour of a scheme by Venturi, Scott Brown & Associates which was constructed in 1991. The extension became known as The Sainsbury Wing and was designed to house the Gallery's Renaissance collections. The original National Gallery building, part of which can be seen here, was designed by William Wilkins (1778-1839) and completed in 1838.