13 November 2007 - 17 February 2008

A V&A and Crafts Council exhibition

Out of the Ordinary: Spectacular Craft

Olu Amoda, 'Queen of the Night', 2003, chicken wire mesh, nails and scrap metal on board, collection Mrs K Chellaram

Olu Amoda

Commenting is now closed. Thank you for your contributions.

Comments

1. recycle/ rebirth/ eternity.
    things/ people/ the universe.
    his creativity/ his mind/ his work.

i ve alway been inspired by ur works. i saw ur exhibited work via the internet and i said to myself- HIS DONE IT AGAIN!!

Posted by Seyi john on 02/05/08, 3:49 pm
  2. totally blown away by your work,Queen of the Night & This is Lago are so inspiring.

Posted by yvonne lockhart on 01/05/08, 3:21 pm
  3. l recently saw your work exhibited in the V&A;museum-(Out of the Ordinary: Spectacular Craft’).l love the way you put shapes together;loved the doors;love your workshop and its surrounding environment.My kind of place.ll’ve been inspired to collect metal pieces and am finding pieces of locks and keys in places like the college car parks and in the city kerbsides.

Posted by Maddy Davies on 01/05/08, 3:20 pm
  4. It’s very inspare work. Full of creativity. Olu thanks

Posted by Jose on 18/01/08, 2:23 pm
  5. Olu, me professorial ol’ pal; these are all Inspiring; super as always...What else can I say?! Keep up the good work.

Chinwe

Posted by Chinwe Uwatse on 18/01/08, 2:22 pm
  6. I remember Olu on Majoro Street, Yaba-hard at work ; an alchemist turning scrap metal to intricate art forms. I remember his acolytes and apprentices-learning the basics of welding and learning from the master himself how to conjure magic out of waste...how to see beauty in the midst of madness and nothingness. Olu Amoda’s work has always fascinated me and stopped me in my tracks by its sheer creative boldness and iconoclastic features. I am thrilled that his dream lives on and continues to find deeper expression on the global stage

Posted by JULIA on 18/01/08, 2:22 pm
  7. His work is thought provoking.I adore ‘This is Lagos’ the most,i could stare at it for hours and still discover something new.

Posted by Marian Kihogo on 04/01/08, 10:36 am
  8. Olu has been one of those enduring and fascinating reminders of the primeaval artist, Sokoti; the heavenly smith and the guardian of portals.

Posted by Dele Layiwola on 16/11/07, 5:19 pm
  9. Olu,
    You don try my broda.
    This is very good. I love seeing your work on this platform. Very inspiring, very exciting.
    Victor

Posted by Victor Ekpuk on 13/11/07, 11:16 am
  10. Its good seeing someone who has played a role in encouraging me to be consistent and determined as an Artist and a very great mentor and motivator. I have seen couple of his engaging and energetic works in Lagos and i hope the English audience will be thrilled seeing one of most innovative Nigerian Artists exploring more visual platforms in Europe. expects to see captivating works from Amoda. and to Victoria and Albert museum, best wishes as you host Amoda.
    Busayo Lawal, Visual Artist
    Lagos, Nigeria

Posted by Busayo Lawal on 12/11/07, 10:10 am
  11. olu amoda has long crossed the borders of line ,shape and form.his works are aptly taking the shape of thought ,his thoughts,, effortlessly too..it is indeed rewarding for him to be on the international stage.

Posted by uche on 12/11/07, 10:09 am
  12. Olu

This site and your work both look wonderful.  I hope to see you again after the New Year on my flight to Sydney and Canberra.

All the best

Martin

Posted by Martin Stamat on 08/11/07, 2:40 pm
  13. Awesome works! Great colours and quite inspirational, keep up the good work.

Posted by nana on 08/11/07, 2:40 pm
  14. Congratulations Olu!  Beautiful work.

Posted by Janet Goldner on 08/11/07, 2:40 pm
  15. I really wish I could be there to see the exhibition. The text and photos are fantastic. All the best!
    Frances McCormack

Posted by frances on 08/11/07, 2:40 pm
  16. An interesting use of industrial materials - although individually the materials are quite brutal they somehow convey something made of lace. And I like the colour!

Posted by Tessa on 06/11/07, 2:56 pm