Install shot from The Future Starts Here exhibition at the V&A. © Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
We are delighted to announce a new yearlong residency opportunity for a Design Thinker in Residence at the V&A starting in November 2018. The deadline for applications is 30 September 2018. This residency is part of the V&A Research Institute‘s portfolio of projects and is generously supported by the Andrew W Mellon Foundation.
We are seeking applications from individuals working within the design community for a yearlong Design Thinking residency at the Museum. The appointed Design Thinking Resident will work closely with the V&A Research Institute (VARI) and V&A Learning team to help us reimagine museum learning for the 21st century.
This residency would suit a practitioner working in any medium who is inherently self-reflexive and who is conversant with the methods of design thinking. We are looking for an outstanding practitioner who meets the following Essential Criteria:
- Relevant experience working within a design thinking environment and a demonstrated interest in human-centred design;
- A track record of collaborative and interdisciplinary projects;
- A genuine eagerness to work collaboratively with both the public and the Museum community;
- A demonstrated interest in education;
- Creative originality and professionalism in their work;
- The ability to work independently;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in the field and best practice.
The appointed Resident will be expected to:
- Spend a time equivalent to at least two days per week throughout the duration of the residency, carrying out research, meeting with/presenting ideas to museum staff and developing a framework for the design of V&A toolkit to develop learning programmes for diverse audiences and stakeholder groups;
- Work closely with the Learning team and VARI to co-design and test out new pilot learning programmes (at different levels, from early years to HE and beyond, supported by both Learning and VARI) that encourage divergent thinking and facilitate innovative approaches to creative problem-solving;
- Develop an online presence for their practice on the V&A website, including blogging (technical support will be offered);
- Author a reflexive document concerning their methodologies, processes and findings that can be a contribution to museum-based learning and research;
- Create a V&A design thinking toolkit for staff to develop different levels of learning programmes (for both Learning and VARI) as a lasting legacy of their residency.
VARI Embedded Residents will be offered:
- A stipend of £12,000;
- Coaching by former IDEO partner Andrea Kershaw;
- Direct involvement in the culture of the Museum through the activities and mechanisms listed above;
- Formal affiliation with VARI (V&A Research Institute) as part of the Museum’s Research and Collections Division;
- Appropriate introductions to staff and departments of the Museum and support from the V&A Residencies Programme Manager;
- Access to relevant learning and curatorial expertise;
- Access to a personal computer, including V&A intranet login and email address;
- Temporary V&A Museum Security pass for the duration of the Residency, subject to Security clearance.
For full details on eligibility criteria and the application process: OPEN CALL DESIGN THINKING RESIDENCY 2018-1019.
Enquiries should be directed to: email@example.com.
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2018
Interview date: 22 October 2018