Merrythought Ltd. was founded in 1930 by W G Holmes and G H Laxton who were already running a spinning and weaving business. They attracted the services of former staff from established teddy bear manufacturers Chad Valley and J K Farnell and immediately produced a range of teddies and soft toys.
The company quickly established itself as one of the leading teddy manufacturers in Britain. The company still operates from its original factory in Ironbridge, Shropshire. As well as producing its own classic designs it also makes bears using the original Farnell designs.
The slim bear (pictured) made in about 1930, is an example of Merrythought’s Magnet range of teddy bears which were the earliest the company manufactured. As well as having the usual label on its foot, there is also a celluloid button on the bear’s back.