20 – 21 July 2019, 11.00 – 16.30
Free, drop-in, all ages
Play is for everyone. Help us celebrate all things play over this two-day festival filled with workshops, games, and activities designed for all ages.
An event in partnership with UCL’s Playing the Archive research project.
Build, break & re-build
Work with artist Matt Shaw to create a large-scale, changing play structure on the museum’s Marble Floor.
11.00-16.30 (group games at 12.00, 13.00, 14.00 & 15.00)
Join the team from Montessori St Nicholas charity, who can teach you some fun games you can play in your garden or at school.
Browse through our Play Market full of fun, drop-in activities.
– A Sense of Play Playing Cards, pick-up a free pack of interactive playing cards made by the UCL research team.
– Games from around the world, tell artist Dan Jones about games you know and create a collaborative map of games.
– Museum of made-up stories, pretend to be a museum curator, and valuate toys and objects.
– Musical instrument making, ages 4+, build and play your own electronic instrument made of card with the V&A Digital Team.
– Play the Museum Game, ages 4+, try some games made by designer Matteo Manapace especially for the V&A Museum of Childhood.
– Badge making, use words and images from old books and make a badge with artist Alison Somerset-Ward.
Give it a try: AR Prototype
Meet a group of students from the RCA Information Experience Design course who have created an augmented reality play idea for the V&A Museum of Childhood. Have a go and test their prototype!
Give it a try: VR Prototype
12.00-16.00, Village (Place)
Ages 4+, sign-up on the day
Meet more students from the RCA Information Experience Design course, and experience their new prototype environments through virtual reality headsets.
Dial the Time Telephone to speak to children from the past and present and learn new games to play.
11.00-12.30 & 14.00-15.30
Work with our Activity Assistants to create wonderful and bizarre robots from recycled and upcycled materials.
Baby Sensory Play
Explore materials and play things prepared specially for little ones.
Workshop: How to make a video game
11.30 & 14.00 (60mins)
Ages 8+, sign-up on the day
Come and make your own 3D adventure videogame using the MissionMaker software with a team from UCL.
Watch a series of archival and recent documentary films about children’s play.