Audio: The Henrietta Street room
This interior was originally the Drawing Room of No.11 Henrietta Place, part of a terrace designed by James Gibbs and built between 1722 and 1727 on the London estate of Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford. He bought the leases of four plots in the new street, using one for his own house and three, including number II, four houses for letting.
Although the exterior of the house was plain, the ceiling of this room was elaborately decorated. the main panels may be by the Italian-born painter Vincenzo Damini, the plasterer decorated by the Swiss-born plasterworkers who frequently worked with Gibbs.