Fashion in Motion: Clements Ribiero
Fashion in Motion is a series of live catwalk events presented at the V&A. Featuring some of the greatest designers of our time, Fashion in Motion brings catwalk couture to a wider audience by modelling it against the beautiful backdrop of the Museum.
Suzanne Clements and Inacio Ribeiro both trained in Fashion Design at Central Saint Martin’s School of Art and Design in London.
They established their label in 1993 and quickly developed a reputation for their witty and ironic approach to fashion. Keen on subverting accepted notions within the fashion industry, Clements and Ribeiro often use couture fabrics in a ready-to-wear context.
They are perhaps best known for introducing cashmere to a young audience – their rainbow striped twin set becoming one of the most imitated designs of the nineties. Words like 'eclectic' and 'bohemian' have often been used to describe their approach to mixing colours, prints and materials.
In 2000, Clements and Ribeiro were appointed art directors for Cacharel, a label ideally suited to their irreverent take of traditional elegance.
- Sheepskin patchwork jacket with racoon trim, black wool culottes and black 'glass' leather butterfly sandals.
- Brown tartan appliqué trousers, olive cowl neck knitted tank-top, black leather studded belt and 'glass' leather court shoes.
- Olive wool army jacket with badges, olive/cream striped 'hobble' skirt and black studded sandals.
- Leopard print double breasted tail-coat, black chiffon butterfly embroidered 'hobble' skirt and 'glass' leather butterfly shoes.
- Art Deco butterfly print 'tusk' wrap dress and 'glass' butterfly shoes.
- Black chiffon butterfly embroidered 'hobble' dress with black studded sandals.
- Lightning flash sweater and cream cord trousers.