The V&A is able to provide immunity from seizure under Part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007. This Act provides protection from seizure for cultural objects from abroad on loan to temporary exhibitions in approved museums and galleries in the UK, where conditions are met when the object enters the UK.
The conditions are:
- The object is usually kept outside the UK
- The object is not owned by a person resident in the UK
- Its import does not contravene any import regulations
- It is brought to the UK for public display in a temporary exhibition at a museum or gallery
- The borrowing museum or gallery is approved under the Act
- The borrowing museum has published information about the object
The V&A’s due diligence policy can be found here: Download PDF (46 KB)
All objects currently being proposed for or covered by immunity from seizure in the UK are linked to the Arts Council’s website.
Provenance information has been published for objects requesting immunity from seizure in the following V&A exhibitions:
Paul Strand: Photography and Film for the 20th Century
19 March - 3 July 2016
5 March 2016 - 3 July 2016
Victoria & Albert Museum
London SW7 2RL