David Bowie is, is the first international retrospective of the extraordinary career of David Bowie – one of the most pioneering and influential performers of modern times. Over 300 objects including handwritten lyrics, original costumes, photography, set designs, album artwork and rare performance material from the past five decades are brought together from the David Bowie Archive for the very first time. The exhibition demonstrates how Bowie’s work has both influenced and been influenced by wider movements in art, design, theatre and contemporary culture and focusses on his creative processes, shifting style and collaborative work with diverse designers in the fields of fashion, sound, graphics, theatre and film.
The exhibition is touring internationally. Confirmed venues are:
- Japanese venue confirmed for Spring 2017 (details coming soon).
- Groninger Museum, Groningen, The Netherlands from 11 December 2015 – 10th April
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), Melbourne, Australia from 16 July to 1 November 2015
- Philharmonie de Paris/ Cité de la Musique, Paris, France from 2 March to 31 May 2015
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, USA from 23 September 2014 - 4 January 2015
- Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin, Germany, from 20 May – 24 August, 2014
- Museu da Imagem e do Som, Sao Paulo, Brasil, from 31 January – 20 April 2014
- Art Gallery Ontario, Toronto, Canada, from 25 September – 19 November 2013